Monday, December 7, 2009

My First Semester Teaching

This has been a wonderful first semester learning how to become a teacher. From making lesson plans to assigning students in the classroom I have truly enjoyed every moment of it. As sappy and corny as this sounds, this is the first real job I have been this happy to show up to work to do, even more so than illustration, which isn't simply drawing all day, you have to deal with clients who are not always the nicest and easiest people to work with. The same can be said with students, not every day is smiles and thank-yous, there are those rough and difficult days where a student will fight and drag you every step of the way, but rather than shoving your nose down to the grind stone, shutting up/putting up because it is the client's say that is the final say, just to get that commission check as with my previous illustration job, you work with the student, mediate to find a common ground where both the student and the teacher can learn from one-another, that way everyone comes away with something they can be happy and proud with, and as a teacher in training, I have learned so much from these students. Teaching is more than just telling students "this" and "that", but listening to their educational needs and wants and providing for them, modifying your teaching style to aide them, because you, as the teacher, are there for them.

I have learned so much this semester about teaching, students, as well as myself, and I am glad I have found a profession that I enjoy so much. It can be a bit scary and intimidating to stand up in front of a group of young learners, having to shoulder the responsibility as being the one they look up to learn what there is to know about, well, everything, and it does take kind of "traversing the unknown" kind of confidence to chart though rough waters, but after taking that plunge (as they say "you never know until you try") its something that I discovered that I loved doing, every step of the way and will work at to better myself in. I really want to become a better teacher and work hard for this, because, as they say, once you find work that you love to do, it no longer is work.

And on that note, I'm also very glad that I am also able to incorporate my art into the classroom. Creating projects and assessments that involve art making or I design myself are what I especially enjoy doing (we recently completed a writing assignment "Santa's Elves, Help Wanted" where the students had to write a "help wanted" ad for Santa's elves, and it had to describe a specific job the elf would have to do, reindeer feeder, sleigh polisher, present wrapper, doll dresser, suit clearer, etc. and I was able to create an elf patter the students could use to create their job elf. I had a lot of fun with it and enjoyed all the different ways the students modified the original elf pattern to fit their own artistic needs. As with everything else this past semester it was extremely fun and I had a blast every step of the way, and I am excited to continue on teaching and to continue on learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment